Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ice Bath 2.0


Do You Fear the Ice Bath?

Ice baths. Who loves 'em?  Not me; but like long runs, tempo runs, cross training, stretching, nutrition, blisters and bruises, they can be an integral part of the long distance running experience.  As an obsessively pain-adverse personality, kind of a baby according to my wife, I am in quest of the most effective, yet painless as possible technique of being submersed in Titanic survivor-like water, just for fun and  recreation.

So, here is the latest variation of my ice bath development:  Yesterday after a 20+ mile long slow distance run, I limped into a convenience store on my way home from Shelby Farms.  I purchased a pint of Dutch chocolate milk and two bags of ice.  After burning an approximate 2400 calories according to my Nike+ iPod reading, that chocolate milk was as delicious and satisfying as eating a quart of Baskins Robbins ice cream, and as guilt free as munching on a carrot or celery stick.

The last few ice baths I've had were very difficult on my ankles.  I have bird-like legs, especially at the ankles.  It's the only thing I have in common with the late Paul Newman -skinny white legs.  I'm not sure if it's because my ankles are mostly chicken bone, but they burn like fire in the ice water...an irony I could do without.  So yesterday it occurred to me: why not leave my socks on?  I have been wearing some thicker, Adidas charcoal gray socks on my long runs, that go up over my ankles.  Also, in the past as the cold water is rising, my bottom is very uncomfortable on the tub bottom. So, in yesterday's bath I put a towel, folded over twice, making a nice seat cushion in the tub.

I use the The boil the lobster method.  This is named after the process of putting a live lobster into a pot of cold water and then turning on the heat.  In the cold water the lobster doesn't realize lobster bisque is on the evening's menu.  The same can be said, for opposite reasons for me in the cold water, getting gradually colder. It seems easier at least for me, rather than plunging into the icy water. You may be of a different persuasion on this aspect. Ask yourself: would you rather rip the bandaid off all at once, or peel it off slowly?  For a obsessively-pain-adverse personality like me, peeling is preferable. Maybe I have those chicken-bone legs for a reason...

So, in a nutshell, here's the procedure I used:

Make a nice cup of hot tea...I like Tazo Ginger Green tea.
Put on a long sleeved shirt or jacket. I like a jacket that zips all the way up, so I can take off without pulling over my head.  Also, a hoodie or cap on the old noggin to keep in as much heat as possible on the brain.
Put on a thick pair of ankle or calf length socks.
Place a thick towel, folded over a few times where you'll be seated.
Put one bag of ice at the end of the tub where your feet will be.
Settle down into the tub on the nice soft towel and turn on the cold water.
When the water covers your legs...knees, ankles, thighs and all, add the other bag of ice. Whooooooheeeee

I stayed in for about 20 minutes, which seemed like an hour...but not like a week like usual. With my socks, the towel, hot tea and the hoodie, it didn't seem that bad...quite tolerable actually.  And today?  My hips have a little ache to them, but the knees are good, ankles are good, feet are good. The young lady at the convenience store where I bought my ice and chocolate milk yesterday, wouldn't recognize me today by my gait, anyway.  I'll walk a little tomorrow and then be back on track Tuesday for a 5 miler for my marathon training.

I hope this helps you get into the pool.  And, I'm not convinced this is the ice bath to end all ice bath knowledge. So, for my aching body's sake, if you have a tip you like to use, please forward to me.  Ice Bath 3.0 is out there somewhere; I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! My massage therapist keeps telling me to use ice baths instead of the hot epsom soak right after a run. So grateful that you shared this and with incredible humor! All the best as you get into these final weeks of marathon training.

    ReplyDelete