Monday, October 4, 2010

Saturday Morning's Long Slow Distance Run

This past Saturday morning I set out to attempt my longest run, ever. As I have mentioned in this space before, I am training for a full marathon in early December; The St. Jude-Memphis Marathon on December 4. I have 4, 1/2 marathons under my belt over these past 3 1/2 years, and I figure I'd better have a go at the full, before I get much older. So, according to the training schedule I have been following, Saturday was to be a long run, 14 miles long.

Just a brief side note here: I am using what I am calling a hybrid program of both of my running gurus, Jeff Galloway and John "the Penguin" Bingham. I was in my favorite local running store, Breakaway Running earlier in the week talking with the staff about my program, and it was suggested that John's program which only takes you up to 20 miles may not be the best way to go. I already have a fear of getting to the 1/2 marathon split and thinking "Oh my God...I can't do this 13.1 all over again!!!" And so, I'd like to eliminate the thought on race day of, "Oh my God, I just passed 20 miles and I still have a 10K to go!" So, I'm working to increase some of the miles so I get to or at least closer to the 26.2 of the full marathon. According to the "Penguin" schedule, I was supposed to do 14 miles on Saturday, but in the back of my mind I really wanted to go further. On Tuesday I got in almost 6 miles and on Thursday I did 3.5 in preparation for the 14+ on Saturday.

Saturday morning was gorgeous. At 7:00 am when I arrived at Shelby Farms, the skies were clear blue; the sun was just coming up over Patriot Lake, still blanketed with ghostly fog. The park was filling slowly as there was a charity walk/run around the lake and a major High School cross-country event along the north side of the 42 hundred acres. I had a tough time getting across Farm Road to make my first leg of my run. But once I got past the building traffic I got my iPod music and my Nike+ workout set. I headed slowly to the east, facing the rising sun, onto the gravel road that gently rolls along Walnut Grove Road. Of all the trails and roads on the park, this always seems to be the "road less traveled," which is fine with me. I waddle along in a world of my own, as my feet gently strike the loose gravel, silky dirt and dried grass. It's a sacred connection as I step lightly on mother earth, feeling so connected to all the other living things and beings similarly attached to the planet.

At the top of the second hill, the road turns to the north and heads into a "leash-free" dog area. I'm not a dog owner, but I love to watch the endless variety of dogs, enthusiastically flying though the grassy fields, wagging their tails and tongues in celebration of a freedom they do not have back in their high wooden fenced suburban homes' yards. At that moment, I share the sweet feeling of freedom in my movement along the winding country road. Running gives me this feeling of freedom, from fears and worries; from deadlines and bills due. How ironic this is, since Shelby Farms was at one time a prison farm. Maybe as I run, I am picking up from the ground, the feeling of freedom the prisoners must have felt as they farmed the soil and enjoyed a break from their prison cells.

I came to the turn-around point, about 2.5 miles, and I headed back in the directions from where I had come. I ran along the same road, but it was totally different as I headed with the sun at my back and a nice cool breeze in my face. I passed a few folks on the road- or rather, I passed by a few fellow runners as they headed back towards the leash free area. I NEVER pass folks, other than walkers, who are going the same direction as me. I'm a slow, run/walker, so my 12:20 pace is never a passing gear to other runners. But I love it just the same.

I made my way back to the heart of the park, and it was rapidly filling up. Cars were steaming in like the blood pumping through my working muscles. There were tents, and rides, and inflated jumping contraptions, and corn-dogs frying. Wow did they smell good. I worked my way up the hill going away from the visitors center, and the normally empty grassy hills were filling up with cars. I then headed past the horse stables, and again, normally empty grassy fields were filling up with cars all along the north side of the park. The cross-country event had folks in from Mississippi, Arkansas, counties from West-Tennessee, and I even saw a car from Vermont! The teams of lean arms and limbs, and long haired teenage boys, and whisper thin girls were all around, stretching and twisting and jogging in unison. To me there are few things more graceful than a group of 5-10 young folks jogging together as they warm up for a big racing event. They remind me of a school of fish swimming through the ocean, or flocks of birds- all connected, all moving nearly as one. They also remind me that I wish I had started running when I was their age, instead of waiting nearly 30 years later to start. But, I'm happy I finally started...better late than never.

I was using the Jeff Galloway system of running 30 seconds, walking 30 seconds, running 30 seconds, walking 30 seconds, over and over again. I was feeling strong, like I could run/walk all day long. As I made my way past the major cross-country activities, I closed in on about 7 miles. I was loving the beautiful crisp day, the whirlwind of activities in the park, and my mostly-70's era rock and roll play list of 30 songs I had put together. It occurred to me that if Led Zeppelin perfected the honky-tonk, blues, rock and roll of the Mississippi delta, the Allman Brothers refined it to take it to Carnegie Hall. Have you ever really listened and heard the pounding piano on "Rock and Roll," by Led Zeppelin? It's as if Jerry Lee Lewis himself was killing that piano!

The trail worked me back to the visitors center, and I made my way past Patriot Lake for the 3rd and final time of the day. I had a tough time crossing Farm Road again, as the traffic continued to snake into the park. But, then once again I ound myself on a long, dusty gravel road, making its way through soybean fields. Except for the hum of traffic from the 4 lanes of Walnut Grove Road a hundred yards to my left, I could have been in the middle of the country side somewhere...miles and miles from the hustle and bustle of a million person city.

It was beginning to heat up a little bit, but my Gu packs, and Nuun tab drinks from Breakaway Running were keeping me cool. I hit the 8 mile mark as I passed my parked car and I continued on down the gravel road. I tried to calculate a turn around point ahead, so that I could get in at least 16 miles; I was still feeling strong. After a bit of adding and subtracting, I figured when I hit 12 miles, I'd be four miles from the car. So, I waddled along striving to get to mile 12 where I'd be able to turn around and head home. When I got to mile 12, I still felt strong, but I knew I didn't want to push too much further. I knew I needed to make incremental improvements and that to go "too" far, could put me out of the program for a time to heal from an overuse injury. And so, I thought about how much further I could go on my next long slow distance run, and then I thankfully headed back to the car.

With about 2 miles to go, and Led Zeppelin's "Been a long time since I rock and rolled," playing on the iPod, I actually ran...without walking, for about a mile and a half. This was quite an accomplishment for me considering I had been on my feet for over 2 1/2 hours. But, I was feeling quite strong. And I cruised back to the car, dreaming of the cold Gatorade in my trunk, and the chocolate milk I was going to buy along with a bag of ice at the convenience store on my way home. The milk was delicious, and the ice for the ice bath was, well, cold.

Well, it's now Monday afternoon, and I haven't had any soreness at all this weekend or today. I'm beginning to feel more confident about finishing my first full marathon. As I have said before, I am trying my best, for right now, to trust the process. After almost 16, pain free, strong miles on Saturday, I'm beginning to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment