Monday, September 27, 2010

Now that was Fun

I just got back from spending a fun weekend in New Albany, MS with my in-laws. It is becoming an annual tradition for my brother-in-law Miles and I to run the BNA Tallahatchie River Run 5K. It's also a tradition for it to be a wet run. In the midst of a pretty severe drought, the cool rain moved in early in the morning hours and lasted through most of the run and into mid-morning. But, after a week of unprecendented high September temps, it was a nice relief to have a cool misting rain, especially climbing the last 3 hills. This course seems like it is all uphill, at least until the final stretch which is all down hill to the downtown finish line.

One of my favorite things about this year's race was that nearly the whole Hall family was running. Most of them for the first time, and some of them after only running a few weeks. It was a great time to reflect that we run to run against our own times, not really against other runners. I admired my brother-in-law Mitch who has had numerous health problems over recent years, and yet he found the enthusiasm to put on the shoes and tackle the course, hills and all. He finished a little over 37 minutes, and deserved a medal more than the guy who ran it in 17 minutes.

I'm already looking forward to next year's run, and seeing Mitch and all of the newbie Hall's improve on already great finishing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment